The Smaakt tomato juice plays a major role in the tomato pilaf with curry eggplant. Again cooking with vegetable juice. Pilav is a Middle Eastern dish, often based on rice. You fry the rice in some oil and then cook it with stock. You guessed it, pilav is very similar in preparation to risotto. The aubergine with curry powder is to die for!
approx. 45 minutes
Ingredients for 4 people
- 600 ml Tastes tomato juice
- 2 aubergines
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp + 50 ml oil for frying
- 300 g basmati rice
- 2-3 tsp madras curry powder
- 1 can of chickpeas 400 g, rinsed and drained
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 200 ml Turkish yogurt
- Handful of mint leaves coarsely chopped
- Black sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 lemon, in wedges, to serve
- Cut the aubergines into pieces. Sprinkle the aubergine with some salt and let it rest in a colander for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven (electric: 220ºC / hot air: 200ºC). Heat the tomato juice in a pan to just below boiling point and dissolve the stock cube in it. Heat 1 tbsp oil in an ovenproof pan.
- Fry the rice in the oil until the grains are translucent. Deglaze the rice with the hot tomato juice, being careful not to splash. Remove from the heat and cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil. Place the pan in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes until the rice is cooked and the tomato juice has been absorbed.
- In the meantime, pat the aubergine dry with kitchen paper and sprinkle with the curry powder. Heat 50 ml of oil in a frying pan over a high heat and fry the aubergine in it for about 10 minutes until golden brown on all sides. Add the chickpeas and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Grate or press the garlic and stir it into the yogurt. Remove the rice from the oven and remove the aluminum foil or lid. Spoon the eggplant and chickpeas on top. Finish with the yogurt, mint and sesame seeds. Serve with the lemon wedges.
This recipe is from Foodies magazine. They started working with the Smaak juices and created three delicious dishes.
Want to try more recipes with our vegetable juices? Then try these beet burger buns with pulled jackfruit and the grilled green asparagus with carrot-garlic gravy, dill and pine nuts.