The beet burger buns with pulled jackfruit is for sure a surprising recipe. The beet juice not only gives the sandwiches a colorful effect, it also tastes delicious. You make the sandwiches yourself, so the recipe takes a little more time. In our opinion, perfect for the weekend!
approx. 1 hour + 2 hours and 30 minutes waiting time
Ingredients for 8 sandwiches
For the buns
- 500 g flour for bread
- 7.5 g salt
- 8 g Tastes instant yeast
- 300 ml Tastes like beetroot juice
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg beaten
- Tastes like sesame seeds to sprinkle
- baking paper
For the pulled jackfruit
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion cut in half rings
- 2 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 500 g Flavors jackfruitpot, rinsed and drained
- 75 ml barbecue sauce
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 50 ml Tastes apple juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ pointed cabbage in fine strips
- ½ apple finely grated
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Tastes mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- smoked paprika powder
- 2 spring onions in thin rings
- For the bread rolls, mix the flour with the salt in the bowl of a standing mixer. Add the yeast, oil and 260 ml Flavored beetroot juice. Knead the whole with the kneading hooks into a cohesive dough. Now add the rest of the beet juice to make sure all the flour is included. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until a smooth dough. Knead by hand for about 15 minutes. The dough should still stick to the bottom of the bowl but not to the sides. Let the dough rise covered for 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a clean work surface, avoid using extra flour. Fold the dough over firmly a few times. You will notice that this will make it much firmer. Shape the dough into a ball and return it to the bowl. Cover and let rest again for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and form tight balls by rolling them over the work surface between your hands. Place the balls on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover loosely with foil or a damp tea towel and let rise for about 1.5 hours.
- Preheat the oven (electric: 220°C / hot air: 200°C). Brush the rolls with some beaten egg and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake the bread rolls in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- For the pulled jackfruit, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for about 3 minutes until translucent. Add all the spices and the jackfruit and mix well. Add the barbecue sauce, chipotle paste, apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Braise the whole on medium heat for about 25 minutes until you can easily push the jackfruit apart with a spoon. Season with some salt if necessary.
- For the coleslaw, mix the pointed cabbage with the apple, vinegar and mayonnaise. Season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Cut open the buns and fill them with the pulled jackfruit and coleslaw. Garnish with the spring onion.
This recipe is from the Foodies magazine. They started working with the Smaak juices and created three delicious dishes.